Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Tactical Reviews: Combat Application Tools - CAT M-4

.
Listen up, people!

Here is another one of those tools that you stop and think to yourself, "Why didn't I think of that!"

The CAT-M4

Myself, I wish I had the Combat Applications Tool CAT M-4 back when I was in the US Army, when the M16A1 was ubiquitous, and A2s the cutting edge of the AR platform. The CAT M-4 tool would have saved me a lot of scrubbing.

And push-ups.


Sam Johnson got the idea for the CAT M-4 while discussing weapon cleaning and combat drills with a close friend Jim Hopper who was training the Iraqi National Army. Sam is a machinist and after a couple of prototypes, he forwarded the CAT M-4 tool to Jim, whereupon it became an immediate success.



The CAT M-4 is designed to quickly bring a bolt to tactical tolerances in a matter of moments.

The CAT M4 tool is investment cast from 400 series stainless steel. The bolt cleaning chamber is CNC machined to precisely fit a mil-spec bolt. Investment casting leaves a non-reflective finish on the tools and feels smoother in the hand. All manufacturing is done 100% in the United States of America by American workers.

While the CAT-M4 fits many bolts perfectly, due to very slight differences in bolts, the tool will fit some bolts better than others. All bolts so far encountered by the tech staff at Combat Application Tools have been restored to "tactical tolerance" quickly. Inspection cleanliness can be quickly achieved by the addition of solvent and a patch or two.

Scraping the Bolt's Tail Clean


Patch Holder for Cleaning the Bolt Carrier


Cleaning the Bolt Carrier


Cleaning the Bolt Carrier


1/4" Hex Head Holder


Magnetic hex head extension works great!

Not only does it do a great job of cleaning the bolt quickly, but in a stroke of genius Sam broached a 1/4 inch hex opening in it so that an operator could use any 1/4 hex tool in it. I found that a magnetic extension works best to keep a bit in place and immobile.

For the money, this is a great tool for any operator, soldier, or enthusiast who uses any AR platform or M16/M4. Keeping the bolt and carrier clean has always been the key to reliable operation, here is a tool that lets you do it in mere moments, out in the field, where it counts the most! Another "Rock Solid Buy" from the Team at The Range Reviews: Tactical.

And remember, it's made in the United States of America!

Combat Applications Tool
C.A.T. M-4
MSRP: $35.00

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I the opportunity to use the tool recently. I helped a friend clean his M4 and WOW! Not only was there a lot of carbon dust coming off the bolt, the carrier and the firing pin but chunks too (he doesn't clean his weapon as often as he should).
The CAT M4 cleaning tool is easy to use, makes cleaning quick and is more thorough than anything out there!
A DEFINITE MUST HAVE!!
~Saoirse

ebryant said...

I just got my CAT M4 tool and used it for the first time. I was amazed at how much carbon came off the bolt carrier group. I am a SWAT operator for my agency and I showed it to other team members and we will be ordering many more.
Great tool!
Eric Bryant
Seminole County Sheriff's Office

Huey said...

Nice article, I ordered one of the M4 tools and am awaiting its arrival.

Too bad all of this spam is cluttering up the page. I have gotten a few replies like these on my blog too.

Anonymous said...

I am with one of the many agencies within DHS, I was at the range today for quarterly qualifications. As I started cleaning my M-4, one of the Range Masters(Who is also a noted Marine Corps Reserve Marksman)whipped out this new piece of gear and said try this. I just placed my order!!This thing is great.